*I get commissions for purchases made through affiliate links in this post at no extra cost to you. I do not promote anything I haven’t validated or personally used myself. This mama appreciates your support.
Let me start out by saying, this will be the very best hamburger pie recipe you will ever try. I know that sounds bold but it’s true! This is not only one of the best dinner recipes for the family but is also great comfort food.
The best part about this recipe is how easy it is to make. It takes very little effort and is almost dummy-proof. Great for anyone who isn’t big on cooking or may feel intimidated by trying out new recipes.
This hamburger pie recipe is one of my favorite comfort foods and that’s all the more reason I want to share it with you. If you’re anything like me, you are always looking for another comfort food recipe.
This is actually my mom’s recipe and people beg her to make it on a regular basis. She’s actually a pretty amazing cook so I plan on sharing more of her yummy comfort food recipes with you that she has passed down to me.
I’m not sure where she gets it from because the only thing my grandmother knew how to make were reservations. That has always been a standing joke in our family.
I’m really glad though she knows how to cook because I love to as well. I’m beyond glad she taught me this hamburger pie recipe along with many more great dinner recipes for family gatherings.
My Pointers for This Hamburger Pie Recipe
I’ll give you some pointers on this hamburger pie recipe that may clear up any questions you may have.
In making this hamburger pie recipe, it’s very important that you start by browning the bottom pie crust before you add the meat and veggies to it.
This is something that a lot of recipes don’t do but you will find that it will turn out quite doughy if you skip this step.
Browning it, allows it to cook all the way through so the thickness of the meat and veggies don’t keep it from being cooked properly. Otherwise, you will find the top to have a nice crisp while the bottom not so much.
(They will be asking you to make different dinner recipes for family gatherings if you serve them a doughy hamburger pie.)
Another thing is to keep it simple by using the canned veggies and potatoes. It saves so much time and I promise it tastes the same. You’ll be beating yourself over the head if you try to slice and dice fresh veggies and potatoes to ultimately have the same outcome.
Use that extra time to get something else done.
What is Beef Consomme?
This is a question I get more often than not so let me give you the 411.
Beef consomme is a beef broth that has been cleared of all its impurities. It’s perfectly clear (a rich amber color) and is completely fat-free. Consomme has a gelatin-like body to it which makes it much thicker than a broth.
Consomme is usually served by itself. In this recipe though, I add it to the meat because of its intense flavors. As it simmers, the meat just soaks it all up.
A lot of people always ask why not just used beef broth instead. I don’t use the broth because it doesn’t give the kick of flavor that makes this hamburger pie recipe so amazing.
If you try to substitute this recipe with broth, I can no longer put my stamp of approval on it.
I love to use consomme in my ‘comfort food’ recipes too because the bread usually balances the intense flavoring.
Hamburger Pie Recipe
Find the hamburger pie recipe just below. You’ll be so happy you tried it out. Don’t forget, if you need family recipes for family gatherings, just make more.
This is a great dish to take to any party as well. The last time I did that, every single one got eaten. I made a bunch of mini hamburger pies using these disposable aluminum foil mini pie baking cups and simply made fresh dough from scratch.
Once you fall in love with it, your shares and Pins would be greatly appreciated. Know too, your followers will be thanking you for sharing this because it really is that good. Pinky promise!
Dinner Recipes for Family
You’ll find even more recipes and comfort food on my Pinterest profile so go check it out and feel free to follow me while you’re there.
Refrigerated and Dairy
- 1 1/4 lbs ground beef
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese, your choice (I used a Mexican blend)
- 2 whole deep-dish pie crusts, frozen
Baking, Spices and Condiments
- 1 cup brown gravy mix
- 1 1/2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Vegetables and other Ingredients
- 15 oz diced white potatoes (canned)
- 15 oz mixed veggies (lima beans, peas, corn, carrots) (canned)
- 15 oz beef consomme (canned)
- Preheat oven to 350. Place 1 pie crust in the oven for roughly 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Heat skillet to medium heat. Add meat and season with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Brown meat until fully cooked.
- Add 1 cup gravy mix and consomme. Stir thoroughly and let simmer 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add cheese on top and let melt. Once melted, stir everything together.
- Turn heat off. Place mixture into the pre-browned crust. Spread evenly. Use other pie crust (uncooked) and place on top. Pinch the dough around the edges to completely seal.
- Puncture holes in the top or any design you want to allow it to vent while in the oven. (I put hearts in this particular pie.) Place in oven for roughly 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy.