*I get commissions for purchases made through affiliate links in this post at no extra cost to you. I do not promote anything I haven’t validated or personally used myself.
I made this dinner for 4 for around $10!
Let me just start by saying, these garlic pork chops are so unbelievably delicious.
I hadn’t made pork chops in quite some time and had picked some up just a few days ago because they happened to be on sale. I was strolling down the meat aisle when that neon-colored sale sticker suddenly caught my eye.
They were some of the biggest chops I’d ever seen and they looked like something from the front pages of a butcher magazine.
I had to have them!
Problem was, I don’t have that many great pork chop recipes so I took to the internet. I searched high and low, but nothing caught my eye. Finally, I remembered a pin I saved a while back from Eatwell101, and am I glad I did.
I read through it and instantly remembered why I originally pinned it. The blend of seasonings and the yumminess of a mushroom cream sauce was right up my alley.
I considered making it a number of times by simply changing out the meat. I decided to stick to the original recipe but know that you could substitute this with chicken or steak. Both other options sound divine as well!
I did change up the seasoning to better suit my liking.
How I Prep My Meat
I always start by rinsing my meat and patting it dry with some paper towel. I lay the chops on an oversized plate (a cookie sheet or other baking pan will work too), and I make sure to season the chops generously on both sides.
I cover them with some saran wrap or foil and place them in the fridge. I either do this the night before or first thing in the morning. I just want to be sure I’m giving the meat enough time to absorb the seasoning.
I then will usually pull them out before I start cooking.
Don't forget to check out more of my recipes on a budget for next time!
What is a Mushroom Cream Sauce?
Given the name, it’s a sauce that has mushrooms as its primary ingredient. That’s what every mushroom cream sauce is going to have in common. Other than that, there can be quite a variation.
Some sauces are white while others are brown. Some are thick like a gravy and others are less dense.
There is also a wide range of how they are seasoned.
I actually enjoy the variation of how this sauce can be made because I’m always excited to try someone else’s version of a mushroom cream sauce.
How to Make the Mushroom Cream Sauce
Using the same pan you cooked the chops in, add in your sliced mushrooms and cook them until they are golden brown. Make sure to scrape up the scraps from the chops in the pan to mix in with the mushrooms. It will only add to the flavor.
Next, you will add the garlic, parsley, and Italian seasoning and cook for about 30 seconds. At that point, you will pour in the chicken broth.
Then you will add the cream, and stir everything together. Allow it to simmer for 3-4 minutes or until it begins to thicken. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Cooking On A Budget
One of my favorite things about this recipe is the ability to really use any meat you want. If you are looking to cook on a budget and save money on groceries, use whatever meat is on sale that week.
When trying to save money every month on your grocery bill, while still trying to cook quality meals, this is one recipe you can add into the mix.
If you have the freezer space, I’d suggest stocking up on meat. THen you can recreate this meal with other options.
Chicken broth is another ingredient you can stock up on when it goes on sale. Whenever my local grocery store has it as a BOGO, I stock up! It has a long shelf life and is a staple in many good recipes.
Garlic Pork Chops in Mushroom Cream Sauce Recipe Below
My favorite thing about these garlic pork chops is that you can have them ready in 30 minutes. As a mom, the quicker I can get dinner on the table, the better.
I have a million things to do when getting off work so spending a ton of time on dinner is not ideal. Sacrificing taste isn’t either. That’s what makes this recipe so great.
It’s quick and delicious.
Be sure that you follow me on Pinterest to find some more amazing recipes you will enjoy.
Garlic Pork Chops in a Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 4 pork chops, bone in, 1-inch thick
Ingredients for Pork Chops
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp marjoram, dried
- 1 tsp thyme, ground
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Ingredients for Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 1 cup mushrooms, brown, sliced
- 4-5 whole garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash your chops and pat them dry with paper towel. This will better help the seasoning stick to the meat.
- Combine the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme and salt and pepper is a small mixing bowl. Use the spice mix and season both sides of the chops. (I added more seasoning as I like well seasoned meat.)
- Over medium-high heat, add olive oil and butter to skillet and wait until melted.
- Sear the chops, 3-5 minutes on each side. Once well browned on each side, remove from skillet, set aside.
- In the same skillet, add sliced mushrooms. Cook until golden brown. Make sure to scrape up the scraps from the chops in the pan to mix in with the mushrooms.
- Add garlic, parsley, and Italian seasoning and cook for about 30 seconds. Pour in chicken broth. Add the cream, and stir everything together. Allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes or until it begins to thicken. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Place chops and their juices back into the skillet. Simmer for 3-4 minutes or until the chops are cooked to your liking.
- Remove skillet from the heat. Let sit in the skillet for 4-5 minutes to allow the chops to soak up the juices. Top with parsley. Enjoy.