*I get commissions for purchases made through affiliate links in this post at no extra cost to you. I do not promote anything I haven’t validated or personally used myself.
I was able to make this dessert for around $4!
I always like to try and mix things up and that’s exactly what I did with this cinnamon roll coffee cake recipe. The idea of combining things I love and creating new and exciting concoctions is like Russian roulette for me.
My son started asking me for cinnamon rolls. Moments later, he was also asking if he could have cake. I told him he had lost his mind if he thought he was getting two different desserts.
He’s four and thinks he can trick me into giving him all the sweets he could ever hope for. His request did get me thinking though.
He was being super helpful that day and I was trying to think of what to do to give him both treats without actually giving him two separate desserts
All I could think of was, why not combine the two? It would make for a great coffee cake recipe. Not only does it take very little effort, but very little time to prep as well.
I was expecting a visitor later that afternoon so this would be the perfect dessert to offer. Plus, I’m always looking for another excuse to bake something sweet.
See what other yummy recipes I have to offer that can be made on a budget!
Why is it Called Coffee Cake?
The name coffee cake seems to confuse a lot of people. So many people don’t understand why it’s called “coffee cake” when in fact, it doesn’t have any coffee in it.
It’s called coffee cake because the cake is ultimately supposed to be accompanied by a cup of coffee. It’s that simple. It’s a compliment to a cup of coffee.
This cinnamon roll coffee cake recipe has a settled coffee taste which is complemented by the gooey cinnamon rolls topped with cream cheese icing.
Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake Recipe Below
This is one of the yummiest coffee cakes I’ve ever had and definitely one of the easiest recipes out there.
It doesn’t require a ton of ingredients and the only reason is takes so long is simply waiting for it to cook. It’s one of the recipes I love to make with the kids because it’s almost impossible to mess up.
Be sure to follow my Pinterest profile to see other amazing recipes you'll love to try out.
Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake
- 2 rolls cinnamon rolls
- 1 box Betty Crocker butter yellow cake
- 3 eggs, large
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup cold brew coffee (in place of the water)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Slice the cinnamon rolls into thirds or quarters and place into the pan. I used a bundt cake pan but a 9×13 pan works too.
- Make the cake mix according to the recipe on the box. I substituted water for cold brew coffee.
- Pour the cake mix on top of the cinnamon rolls.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook for 50 minutes if using a bundt cake pan. If using a 9×13 pan, follow the cook time on the box. Keep in mind, you may need to cook a little longer because of the cinnamon rolls. (Place a toothpick into the cake to check if it’s finished. If the toothpick is wet, cook a little longer. If the toothpick is dry, it’s finished.)
- Let cool for 10 minutes. Place a plate over the pan and flip the cake over releasing it from the pan. Drizzle icing over the cake and its ready to serve.